The animosity and rift between Iran and the USA is neither a lie nor a myth. It is real and obvious. The beginning of rift dates back to 1979 when the Iran was revolutionized by Islamic scholar Ayatollah Khomeini . Throughout the decades, following events have emerged to explain the rift between the two countries:
- CIA-orchestrated Coup ousting Mosseddeq’s government replacing it with Shah (1953)
- US Embassy hostages crisis following the Iranian Revolution of 1979 led by Ayatollah Khomeini (1979-1981)
- Iranian Passenger Plane shot down by American Warships killing 290 people on board while they were on their way to Mecca (1988)
- From 1997 when Khatami assumed the presidency; despite his offers to smooth the relations, then President Bush’s state of union address erupted outrages in Iran as he called Iran, Iraq and North Korea as parts of ‘Axis of Evil’.
- In 2002 as the Iranian opposition group revealed about Iran’s nuclear program; US proposed sanctions against it.
- Later, in 2005 the hardliner Mahmood Ahmedinejad proved to be a tough guy for the Americans to negotiate. His speeches at UN General Assembly particularly in 2005 and then in 2010 offended US and its allies.
- USA withdrew from nuclear deal signed with Iran with the help of EU. (2018)